This brief history does not simply document the beginnings of a church called "Calvary". More importantly, it shares how the Lord, through his patience, faithfulness and provision, brought this congregation into existence, and keeps building it--one family at a time. The Lord used many steps to bring Calvary to its starting point. As we look back, it's evident that God was at work and his timing is perfect.
Calvary started out with a series of strategy meetings in the Fall of 1984. From these humble beginnings, "A Vision for the Future" was born.
In the spring of 1985, arrangements were made to hold Sunday services at the Waupaca Community Building. Later, a downtown site became known as "The Little Church Downtown".
The years of 1986-1988 were momentous. "Calvary" was chosen as the congregation's name. A constitution and bylaws were approved and it was received as a member church of the Lutheran Church-Missouri-Synod. Soon afterward, a building site was found. On October 25, 1987, Calvary's first church building was dedicated.
Initially, the congregation was served with Word & Sacrament on a rotating basis by a group of area pastors: Paul Hartrick of Fremont, Richard Mundt of Lind Center, and Henry Simon of Appleton. When growth permitted, the congregation called an ordained pastor on a full-time basis to serve in their midst, and the Lord brought many blessings through these men over the years:
- Rev. James R. Teasdale--1987 to 1996;
- Rev. David L. Smith--1998 to 2000;
- Rev. Paul W. Alliet--2000 to 2005;
- Rev. Martin M. Rich--2006 to 2013;
- Rev. Robert F. Selle served as interim pastor.
- Rev. John M. Taggatz current pastor--installed September 27, 2014 - August 2020
- Rev. Brian Roehrborn--October 2020
In 2004, Calvary's facility more than doubled in size with the addition of a spacious new sanctuary. The prior space was renovated into a fellowship hall, youth area, and classrooms. . .
By God's grace, baptized members continue to be added to the Calvary family. Blessings that the Lord has brought through the years are, indeed, beyond counting.
For all that we are as in this place as precious children of God, and for all that we are yet to become by his presence among us, to God be the glory! All praise to his holy name!
- First Baptism: Nancy Lynn Hagen (2/8/87)
- First Confirmands: Matthew Johnson & Kristine Stock (5/21/89)
- First Marriage: David Lunde & Paula Meyers (5/11/91)
- First Funeral: Wayne Barrett died 6/25/88; funeral (6/28/88)